Cultural Competency and Cultural Humility:
A Personal Experience
The purpose of this training is to provide PLA Alumni with a conceptual framework for understanding cultural competence and humility. You will learn the importance of practicing cultural humility when working with diverse communities and individuals. Alumni will participate in exercises, dialog, review, and a discussion of video clips.
- Culture and Worldview
- Stereotypes, Microaggressions, Implicit Bias, Bigotry and Racism.
- Cultural Competence Continuum / Cultural Humility Models
- 1990s Program Used to Transform Behavioral Health System
- Discuss How Practitioners Can Use Cultural Competence/Humility
Key Learning Objectives:
- Define key terminology associated with culture competence and diversity.
- Describe the differences between cultural competence and humility
- Identify key immigrant and refugee communities in central Ohio and key aspects about their culture
- Discuss how to engage diverse communities and develop “trust” among those served
- Understand a process of transforming a system of care
Dr. Kevin L. Dixon is vice president of community and cultural engagement at the Alcohol, Drug, and Mental Health Board of Franklin County (ADAMH) . He is responsible for developing community-based initiatives that address a wide-range of behavioral health issues that include new school district initiatives, faith-based, immigrant and refugee populations, targeted partnerships, and other key collaborations.
Join us on Wednesday, March 4th from 3:00 - 8:00 pm at the Columbus Medical Association.
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Ohio State Medical Association (OSMA) through the joint providership of Mount Carmel Health System and the Columbus Medical Association. The Mount Carmel Health System is accredited by the OSMA to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Mount Carmel Health System designates this live activity for a maximum of 5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
RSVP by clicking here . If you have any questions, contact PLA Co-Directors
Phil Cass, firstname.lastname@example.org or Diane May, email@example.com
REMINDER: PLA ALUMNI EVENT:
Sanity Beyond the Destination
February 11, 2020